PSP really SUCKS these days or WHAT?
AAvK
2006-06-28 17:04:21 UTC
The last version I bought as an upgrade was 7 and had started with 5.
I think 7 is a really well done program that functions perfectly. Now
I am reading definite negativity about it in this NG, what went wrong
with PSP since Corel bought it?
--
}<)))*> Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/
Fred Hiltz
2006-06-28 18:06:32 UTC
Post by AAvK
The last version I bought as an upgrade was 7 and had
started with 5. I think 7 is a really well done program
that functions perfectly. Now I am reading definite
negativity about it in this NG, what went wrong with PSP
since Corel bought it?
Versions 8 and 9 made substantial improvements over 7. Corel took
PSP down-market with version 10, which is good for profits but not
for enthusiastic users.

Much of what you read here is only the trolls snapping at each
other's ankles. If you would rather read about, ask about, and
discuss PSP, hie thee to Corel's newsgroups, where the interesting
action is these days. http://tinyurl.com/2pt9o has their URLs,
titles, terms of service, etc.
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com
tomaldrich@newshosting.com
2006-06-28 18:35:56 UTC
So where does one go from here if they want a new PSP type program
Trev
2006-06-28 18:43:09 UTC
Post by ***@newshosting.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
Versions 8 and 9 made substantial improvements over 7. Corel took
PSP down-market with version 10, which is good for profits but not
for enthusiastic users.
So where does one go from here if they want a new PSP type program
Psp 10 is still very good and more than adequate, also very good value for
money. But If you can find a PSP 9 at a very good price of around 1/4 of the
normal price then dont hesitate
Brendan R. Wehrung
2006-06-29 05:43:43 UTC
Post by Trev
Post by ***@newshosting.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
Versions 8 and 9 made substantial improvements over 7. Corel took
PSP down-market with version 10, which is good for profits but not
for enthusiastic users.
So where does one go from here if they want a new PSP type program
Psp 10 is still very good and more than adequate, also very good value for
money. But If you can find a PSP 9 at a very good price of around 1/4 of the
normal price then dont hesitate
Watch Best Buy for a $30 special on X. They've had it at least twiceand
the 4th is next week.

Brendan
Fred Hiltz
2006-06-28 18:53:32 UTC
Post by ***@newshosting.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
Versions 8 and 9 made substantial improvements over 7.
Corel took PSP down-market with version 10, which is good
for profits but not for enthusiastic users.
So where does one go from here if they want a new PSP type
program
A good question that is getting some attention in the Corel groups.
There is no direct replacement, of course, so it depends on what you
have been doing with PSP. Painting, vector illustration,
color-managed printing, camera RAW input, retouching, and working
with text all have superior alternatives. Some of those are even
Corel products. Digital photo processing by PSP is still hard to
beat (thank you Kris!) but the competition will soon pass it by,
IMO.
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com
Brendan R. Wehrung
2006-06-29 05:48:20 UTC
Post by Fred Hiltz
Post by ***@newshosting.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
Versions 8 and 9 made substantial improvements over 7.
Corel took PSP down-market with version 10, which is good
for profits but not for enthusiastic users.
So where does one go from here if they want a new PSP type
program
A good question that is getting some attention in the Corel groups.
There is no direct replacement, of course, so it depends on what you
have been doing with PSP. Painting, vector illustration,
color-managed printing, camera RAW input, retouching, and working
with text all have superior alternatives. Some of those are even
Corel products. Digital photo processing by PSP is still hard to
beat (thank you Kris!) but the competition will soon pass it by,
IMO.
--
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com
I'm hoping Corel will toss out the cumbersome JASC vector system and
substitute a simplified version of what Corel Draw offers, similar to the
Essentials packages that are a version back from the newest. I'd buy PSP
XI not to have to copy and paste adjusted images into Corel Draw.

Brendan
Uni
2006-06-30 02:51:37 UTC
Post by Brendan R. Wehrung
Post by Fred Hiltz
Post by ***@newshosting.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
[...]
They've already tossed out a bunch of Jasc employees, so what would
tossing out some vectors hurt?

:-)

Amish Mehta wrote something like "Everything at Jasc will remain the same"

:-)

Uni

and
Brendan
j***@yahoo.com
2006-07-01 13:33:09 UTC
Post by Fred Hiltz
Post by ***@newshosting.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
Versions 8 and 9 made substantial improvements over 7.
Corel took PSP down-market with version 10, which is good
for profits but not for enthusiastic users.
So where does one go from here if they want a new PSP type
program
A good question that is getting some attention in the Corel groups.
There is no direct replacement, of course, so it depends on what you
have been doing with PSP. Painting, vector illustration,
color-managed printing, camera RAW input, retouching, and working
with text all have superior alternatives. Some of those are even
Corel products. Digital photo processing by PSP is still hard to
beat (thank you Kris!) but the competition will soon pass it by,
IMO.
I have come to the conclusion that Corel plans to let
PSP die on the vine. Hence, I am looking around for
cost-effective alternative products, as I need a graphics
editor for my business. Further investment of time and
money in PSP seems like a rather dubious proposition
at this point.
Larry Linson
2006-07-01 19:28:18 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
I have come to the conclusion that Corel plans to let
PSP die on the vine. Hence, I am looking around for
cost-effective alternative products, as I need a graphics
editor for my business. Further investment of time and
money in PSP seems like a rather dubious proposition
at this point.
What exciting new features were you expecting in future releases? After
reading about it, I haven't installed PSP X but PSP 9.0 works nicely for me
and has features that I haven't yet used.
j***@yahoo.com
2006-07-02 00:35:47 UTC
Post by Larry Linson
Post by j***@yahoo.com
I have come to the conclusion that Corel plans to let
PSP die on the vine. Hence, I am looking around for
cost-effective alternative products, as I need a graphics
editor for my business. Further investment of time and
money in PSP seems like a rather dubious proposition
at this point.
What exciting new features were you expecting in future releases? After
reading about it, I haven't installed PSP X but PSP 9.0 works nicely for me
and has features that I haven't yet used.
I was not thinking of any particular new features, although
I suppose I could come up with a list. That isn't the point.
When the owners of a company abandon a piece of software,
the first sign is usually a lack of actual new development
(although vaporware may be preduced by rapid handwaving).
After that, they stop fixing the bugs and finally stop producing
new versions. Perhaps a heroic minority soldier on into the
sunset -- think of OS/2 -- but the product is dead and the
very substantial amounts of time and energy invested in
learning the product and developing applications of it have
now gone to waste.

If Corel is going this route, then I have to start learning how
to use a different graphics editor that is not going to be
abandoned, and start converting my thousands of PSP files
into something usable by other graphics editors. This will
be a lot of work, but it will be less work than wasting further
time on a product which is going to be abandoned (or
"combined" with another similar product, which is just
about the same thing). I don't intend to wait until Corel
actually admits they have dropped the product, because
that usually comes only at the very end of the game, as
the vendor screws the very last penny out of their hapless
customers.

I am reading the signs, and PSP 10 was a bad sign.
Larry Linson
2006-07-02 02:10:05 UTC
Well, it was a different situation with OS/2 -- it was the buying public who
abandoned it in droves, and IBM was finally smart enough to stop throwing
good money after bad trying to resuscitate it.

It appears to me that Corel just decided to "reposition" the PSP product, in
a manner that many don't approve. AFAIK, the popularity did not take a
nosedive to cause that.

Larry
Brendan R. Wehrung
2006-07-02 06:02:01 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Larry Linson
Post by j***@yahoo.com
[...]
I'd look to PhotoPaint to see the future of PSP. Although their idea of
marketing is a little strange, Corel does believe in a tiered approach to
overall sales, with simple, complicated and professional level programs.
PhtoPaint (at least v. 12, which is the latest I have) is a little long in
the tooth. Will they raid PSP for features and continue the dumb-down
path? Unfortunately, their Adobe counterparts are succeeding nicely with
just such a strategy (elements 4) so maybe we'da all better hang onto our
copies of PSP 9.

Brendan
Sally Beacham
2006-07-02 15:17:56 UTC
Post by Brendan R. Wehrung
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Larry Linson
Post by j***@yahoo.com
[...]
I wouldn't look to either of those applications, myself.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Section/Display&sid=1047022946165&cid=1151093764006&gid=1047022985433
--
Sally Beacham
www.dizteq.com/www.lvsonline.com
Paint Shop Pro 8 Zero to Hero (Apress/Friends of Ed)
Dave Symes
2006-07-02 18:18:59 UTC
Post by Sally Beacham
I wouldn't look to either of those applications, myself.
Thanks for the link Sally.
Unfortunately the content was just marketing twaddle, and now it has made
me GRUMPY!

Dave S

Fred Hiltz
2006-07-02 23:26:01 UTC
Post by Dave Symes
Post by Sally Beacham
I wouldn't look to either of those applications, myself.
Thanks for the link Sally.
Unfortunately the content was just marketing twaddle, and
now it has made me GRUMPY!
Me too. I think that was her point. Corel is not a software
development company, but a marketing company. When they want to sell
something they are not selling now, they do not build it. They buy
it and, to quote their CEO, "unlock the value" in it. I read that as
"milk it thoroughly as long as any profit remains to be extracted."
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com
Sally Beacham
2006-07-03 02:30:19 UTC
Post by Dave Symes
Post by Sally Beacham
I wouldn't look to either of those applications, myself.
Thanks for the link Sally.
Unfortunately the content was just marketing twaddle, and now it has made
me GRUMPY!
That's okay, the concept is marketing twaddle too.
JoeB
2006-07-03 03:22:28 UTC
Post by Sally Beacham
Post by Dave Symes
Post by Sally Beacham
I wouldn't look to either of those applications, myself.
Thanks for the link Sally.
Unfortunately the content was just marketing twaddle, and now it
has
Post by Sally Beacham
Post by Dave Symes
made me GRUMPY!
That's okay, the concept is marketing twaddle too.
I think the concept - if boiled down to a few sentences - is that
they have milked all the (best/most profitable) money they can by
selling the software to users and their next step is to get money
from those willing to provide the wheels at the end of the spokes
that their Alta program provides. They're at the stage of
squeexing the last dime out of the stone and then they'll be gone.

Just my thought.

Regards,

JoeB
Uni
2006-07-02 18:16:05 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
Post by ***@newshosting.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
Versions 8 and 9 made substantial improvements over 7.
Corel took PSP down-market with version 10, which is good
for profits but not for enthusiastic users.
So where does one go from here if they want a new PSP type
program
A good question that is getting some attention in the Corel groups.
There is no direct replacement, of course, so it depends on what you
have been doing with PSP. Painting, vector illustration,
color-managed printing, camera RAW input, retouching, and working
with text all have superior alternatives. Some of those are even
Corel products. Digital photo processing by PSP is still hard to
beat (thank you Kris!) but the competition will soon pass it by,
IMO.
I have come to the conclusion that Corel plans to let
PSP die on the vine.
Remember one thing, if Corel Corporation had any decent programmers,
they certainly wouldn't have found it necessary to acquire Jasc
Software, Inc., and their code!

Uni

at this point.
Brendan R. Wehrung
2006-07-03 06:12:47 UTC
Post by Uni
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
Post by ***@newshosting.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
[...]
Would you say that of Microsoft too? Many companies gobble up smaller
fish simply becasue they can. Corel has been notorious for combining
programs into suites that don't intergrate well for two or three versions,
but which remain useful and are priced right enough to hold brand loyalty.

Brendan
Uni
2006-07-04 10:29:26 UTC
Post by Brendan R. Wehrung
Post by Uni
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
Post by ***@newshosting.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
[...]
That may be true, Brendan, but Corel already had an equivalent
application, Photopaint(?). So, why did they require PSP? And after
looking at Corel's equivalent application, I feel, they may have been
been writing portions of PSP. Either Jasc stole Corel's Picture Tube
feature or Corel stole Jasc's idea. They're just too similar. It's
obvious, the CEO of Jasc knew the CEO of Corel. And when a CEO of a
company has to resort to writing blatant lies about the competitors
product (Corel vs Adobe), such as comparing an old version to a new
version, I can tell they're desperate.

Uni
Brendan
Lolly
2006-07-04 23:07:09 UTC
I had photopaint 8 and it had no tube feature.
--
Lolly Harris

Site: http://cantonchows.com
Post by Uni
Post by Brendan R. Wehrung
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
Brendan
Sally Beacham
2006-07-05 02:08:43 UTC
Post by Lolly
I had photopaint 8 and it had no tube feature.
And this was a complete and utter stopper for you in a full-featured image
editor?
--
Sally Beacham
www.dizteq.com / www.lvsonline.com
Paint Shop Pro 8 Zero to Hero
Digital Scrapbooking (Course Technology)
Canopus
2006-07-05 09:52:36 UTC
Remember one thing, if Corel Corporation had any decent programmers, they
certainly wouldn't have found it necessary to acquire Jasc Software, Inc.,
and their code!
At least Jasc sold it when PSP 9 had been developed to the point that it
was stable and excellent with more features than I have so far learned.
It will be many years before I feel the need to get something more
powerful than PSP 9 if at all. I feel quite proud to have what I consider
to be one of the best image editors for its price and one I am sure will
become a collectors item :)
--
Rob

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/
W.Madison
2006-07-05 15:41:49 UTC
Post by Canopus
Remember one thing, if Corel Corporation had any decent programmers, they
certainly wouldn't have found it necessary to acquire Jasc Software, Inc.,
and their code!
At least Jasc sold it when PSP 9 had been developed to the point that it
was stable and excellent with more features than I have so far learned.
It will be many years before I feel the need to get something more
powerful than PSP 9 if at all. I feel quite proud to have what I consider
to be one of the best image editors for its price and one I am sure will
become a collectors item :)
--
Rob
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/
Seems like everyone forgets that Corel couldn't have bought out if Jasc was
not willing to sell out. Makes me more disappointed at Jasc than Corel, heck
Corel just made a good business move by obtaining Jasc. Jasc sold out their
customers.
Uni
2006-07-06 06:06:41 UTC
Post by W.Madison
Post by Canopus
Remember one thing, if Corel Corporation had any decent programmers, they
certainly wouldn't have found it necessary to acquire Jasc Software, Inc.,
and their code!
At least Jasc sold it when PSP 9 had been developed to the point that it
was stable and excellent with more features than I have so far learned.
It will be many years before I feel the need to get something more
powerful than PSP 9 if at all. I feel quite proud to have what I consider
to be one of the best image editors for its price and one I am sure will
become a collectors item :)
--
Rob
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/
Seems like everyone forgets that Corel couldn't have bought out if Jasc was
not willing to sell out.
You could see the writing on the walls, at Jasc, when they hired one or
more in marketing, sending out postal mails to entice people to upgrade
to PSP-8. In reality, PSP-8 is what did Jasc in. It was their worst
version, in more ways than one. Even employees were quitting before Jasc
was sold, so you knew it had to be bad there. All Corel wanted was
Jasc's customer database.

Uni

customers.
All Things Mopar
2006-07-06 13:25:49 UTC
Today, with great enthusiasm Uni enlightened the readership
All Corel wanted was Jasc's customer database.
and, they got it
--
ATM, aka Jerry

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
different results" - Albert Einstein
Uni
2006-07-08 12:18:22 UTC
Post by All Things Mopar
Today, with great enthusiasm Uni enlightened the readership
All Corel wanted was Jasc's customer database.
and, they got it
Never trust a CEO who was previously an airline pilot, because, like
planes, software companies can crash, too, when steered improperly.

:-)

Hey, at least we don't have to contend with Kris Z. any longer.

Uni
Uni
2006-07-06 06:15:12 UTC
Post by Canopus
Post by Uni
Remember one thing, if Corel Corporation had any decent programmers,
they certainly wouldn't have found it necessary to acquire Jasc
Software, Inc., and their code!
At least Jasc sold it when PSP 9 had been developed to the point that it
was stable and excellent with more features than I have so far learned.
Most users of PSP did not want a confusing, but limited, clone of
Photoshop. I gather, Jasc added these unwanted features, just to remain
competitive with Adobe's Photoshop. While PSP gained new features, it
became too confusing for the average PSP user. It drove business away.
Post by Canopus
It will be many years before I feel the need to get something more
powerful than PSP 9 if at all. I feel quite proud to have what I
consider to be one of the best image editors for its price and one I am
sure will become a collectors item :)
I'm sure.

:-)

Uni
Canopus
2006-07-07 12:13:38 UTC
Post by Uni
Most users of PSP did not want a confusing, but limited, clone of
Photoshop. I gather, Jasc added these unwanted features, just to remain
competitive with Adobe's Photoshop. While PSP gained new features, it
became too confusing for the average PSP user. It drove business away.
Rubbish...and if you were to look at the Corel PSP 9 newsgroup you would
see there is virtually no traffic on it which is not due to no one using
PSP 9, but, due to users getting on with using it instead of scratching
their heads. There is nothing wrong with PSP 9, but, then you wouldn't
know as you don't use it, you just hang around here to cause trouble and
arguments, a sure sign of a Troll.

Uni
2006-07-08 12:24:38 UTC
Post by Canopus
Post by Uni
Most users of PSP did not want a confusing, but limited, clone of
Photoshop. I gather, Jasc added these unwanted features, just to
remain competitive with Adobe's Photoshop. While PSP gained new
features, it became too confusing for the average PSP user. It drove
business away.
Rubbish...and if you were to look at the Corel PSP 9 newsgroup you would
see there is virtually no traffic on it which is not due to no one using
PSP 9, but, due to users getting on with using it instead of scratching
their heads.
I have no doubt less and less people actually purchase PSP, these days.
That is obvious from this near empty group. Face the facts, Canopus.

Uni

Canopus
2006-07-08 15:29:04 UTC
Post by Uni
Post by Canopus
know as you don't use it, you just hang around here to cause trouble and
arguments, a sure sign of a Troll.
Ah, my mistake, I just noticed I had the Corel PSP 9 group turned off in
Batches in my newsreader so I hadn't been polling it, no wonder it seemed
quiet. I see now that it is quite active with lots of intelligent
questions and answers. I think you may have to change your argument or
are you referring to this group and not the Corel group? If this group
then the main reason it tends to be empty is due to Trolls like you as
anyone with any intelligence and reason has migrated to the Corel group.
But then you wouldn't know that as you are banned from it as being a known
Troll.

j***@yahoo.com
2006-07-09 14:29:29 UTC
Post by Canopus
Post by Uni
Post by Canopus
know as you don't use it, you just hang around here to cause trouble and
arguments, a sure sign of a Troll.
Ah, my mistake, I just noticed I had the Corel PSP 9 group turned off in
Batches in my newsreader so I hadn't been polling it, no wonder it seemed
quiet. I see now that it is quite active with lots of intelligent
questions and answers. I think you may have to change your argument or
are you referring to this group and not the Corel group? If this group
then the main reason it tends to be empty is due to Trolls like you as
anyone with any intelligence and reason has migrated to the Corel group.
But then you wouldn't know that as you are banned from it as being a known
Troll.
Unfortunately, truly critical threads are likely to disappear
from a forum controlled by the subject of the criticism,
especially if the subject's main concern is marketing. It
seems one's choice is to endure trolls, or endure significant
limits on the subjects of discussion. However, maybe I am
wrong in this case. I am sure the future of PSP is of great
interest to its users, so you might be able to point out such
a discussion in the Corel groups.

As an experiment, I just now tried the update function in
PSP 9.01, which as I am sure you are aware has a bug or
two in it. I had not done this in several months. Result: no
updates. As I say, the evidence from this end is that the
product has been effectively abandoned. Another evidence
is that Corel has not even bothered to send a shill to this
newsgroup to contradict me.
Tim
2006-07-09 15:02:23 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Canopus
Post by Uni
Post by Canopus
[...]
There has never been an update for a superceded version of PSP, and PSP
9 was superceded 10 months ago... so don't hold your breath :-)
Tim
j***@yahoo.com
2006-07-09 15:14:29 UTC
Post by Tim
There has never been an update for a superceded version of PSP, and PSP
9 was superceded 10 months ago... so don't hold your breath :-)
That is a reasonable point. On the other hand 10 did not really
supercede 9; it seems to have been a rewrapping, going by the
commentary.
Uni
2006-07-09 20:16:43 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Post by Canopus
Post by Uni
Post by Canopus
[...]
PSP-9 is what PSP-8 was supposed to be. Jasc, being always behind the
gun, and haphazardly released PSP-8. Obviously, their Quality Control
person had quit.

Uni

newsgroup to contradict me.
Uni
2006-07-09 20:32:05 UTC
Post by Canopus
Post by Uni
Post by Canopus
know as you don't use it, you just hang around here to cause trouble
and arguments, a sure sign of a Troll.
Ah, my mistake, I just noticed I had the Corel PSP 9 group turned off in
Batches in my newsreader so I hadn't been polling it, no wonder it
seemed quiet.
Maybe you should join a newsreader help forum.

:-)

Post by Canopus
intelligent questions and answers. I think you may have to change your
argument or are you referring to this group and not the Corel group?
When Adobe opened their technical help web site forum, the usenet groups
remained very active, while this group barely gets a few posts per day.
Corel seldom gets involved with technical help, and has their little
band of C-tech helpers, to hopefully keep them afloat.

Uni

If
as being a known Troll.
lutz
2006-07-18 02:31:56 UTC
"PSP really SUCKS these days or WHAT?"<<<<<<<
Not at all, PSP X is still a really good program and I believe the best
in its class; it was just not a very exciting update from PSP9. It
will remain to be seen if the makers of Photoline32 and PhotoPlus will
be able to overtake PaintShopPro with their next releases.
Obviously Corel should theoretically be able to improve PSP quite
rapidly by integrating features from CorelDraw and PhotoPaint. The
things most disconcerning about PSP are the hogwash released by the
Corel CEO and the press department and the open RAW file conversion
question.

Does anybody know what happened to Kris and where he is working now?
CJ
2006-07-18 02:40:44 UTC
Post by lutz
"PSP really SUCKS these days or WHAT?"<<<<<<<
Does anybody know what happened to Kris and where he is working now?
Oh lord... You are replying to Uni with a question like this. The
answer will be very predictible.

OK Uni, you're on.
Cliff
Uni
2006-07-18 04:34:01 UTC
Post by CJ
Post by lutz
"PSP really SUCKS these days or WHAT?"<<<<<<<
Does anybody know what happened to Kris and where he is working now?
Oh lord... You are replying to Uni with a question like this. The
answer will be very predictible.
OK Uni, you're on.
Kris's favorite song - The Wanderer.

Yeah, they call me the wanderer, I roam from job to job to job.

:-)

Uni
Uni
2006-07-18 04:30:44 UTC
Post by lutz
"PSP really SUCKS these days or WHAT?"<<<<<<<
Not at all, PSP X is still a really good program and I believe the best
in its class; it was just not a very exciting update from PSP9. It
will remain to be seen if the makers of Photoline32 and PhotoPlus will
be able to overtake PaintShopPro with their next releases.
Obviously Corel should theoretically be able to improve PSP quite
rapidly by integrating features from CorelDraw and PhotoPaint. The
things most disconcerning about PSP are the hogwash released by the
Corel CEO and the press department and the open RAW file conversion
question.
Does anybody know what happened to Kris and where he is working now?
Probably Adobe, making real money.

:-)

Uni
Canopus
2006-08-26 16:31:58 UTC
Post by lutz
Does anybody know what happened to Kris and where he is working now?
Believe it or not I did see him pop into the Corel newsgroup and answer a
technical question. A couple of people greeted him with surprise having
not heard from him for some time, but, he either vanished again or chose
not to answer any "Where have you been" etc. questions.

Dave Symes
2006-06-28 20:19:53 UTC
Post by ***@newshosting.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
Versions 8 and 9 made substantial improvements over 7. Corel took
PSP down-market with version 10, which is good for profits but not
for enthusiastic users.
So where does one go from here if they want a new PSP type program
As things stand, even though I have purchased and installed version X, I
don't use it.
I've gone back to using PSP 9.01 which as far as I'm concerned, generally
speaking is the best version.

The bottom line as always, we must do what personally suits us best, for me
that's V9.

Cheers
Dave S

Brendan R. Wehrung
2006-06-29 05:42:05 UTC
Post by ***@newshosting.com
Post by Fred Hiltz
Versions 8 and 9 made substantial improvements over 7. Corel took
PSP down-market with version 10, which is good for profits but not
for enthusiastic users.
So where does one go from here if they want a new PSP type program
That's actually an interesting question. There'es nothing worng with X,
but it impresses me as a dead-end program whose goal was not improved
performance but ease of use (I susspect the Suits who specified it were
tired of reading reviews where Elements was always picked first.). That
audience wouldn't recognize better performance, only new bells and
whistles. So what is Corel going to offer its user base (us) that we
will recognize as having added value? What they've done is broken the
chain of automatic upgrades that's their bread and butter.

Brendan
Uni
2006-06-29 03:56:38 UTC
Post by Fred Hiltz
Post by AAvK
The last version I bought as an upgrade was 7 and had
started with 5. I think 7 is a really well done program
that functions perfectly. Now I am reading definite
negativity about it in this NG, what went wrong with PSP
since Corel bought it?
Versions 8 and 9 made substantial improvements over 7. Corel took
PSP down-market with version 10, which is good for profits but not
for enthusiastic users.
Much of what you read here is only the trolls snapping at each
other's ankles.
Yeah, Tim and Trev, knock it off.

:-)

Uni

titles, terms of service, etc.
Trev
2006-06-28 18:39:27 UTC
Post by AAvK
The last version I bought as an upgrade was 7 and had started with 5.
I think 7 is a really well done program that functions perfectly. Now I
am reading definite negativity about it in this NG, what went wrong with
PSP since Corel bought it?
I think PSP 9 was the best Psp 10 being little different but with Corels
name stamped on it.
Psp 8 was a very big jump from 7 a complete re build rather that just a few
new tools.

The action is over on the corel news groups cnews.corel.com

This news group was and still is trolled by non users of psp out to cause
mischief
AAvK
2006-07-04 05:10:45 UTC
Post by AAvK
The last version I bought as an upgrade was 7 and had started with 5.
I think 7 is a really well done program that functions perfectly. Now
I am reading definite negativity about it in this NG, what went wrong
with PSP since Corel bought it?
--
}<)))*> Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/
OK everyone, ladies and germs, thank you all VERY VERY much for all the input.
I have downloaded PSPX demo. I think the paint engine leaves a bit much to be
desired, as it is very slow following the pen on the tablet, and for painting in general
everything seems to be rather obscure and "behind the scenes" of the GUI, which is
far more geared towards "fixing up photos".

I was quite impressed with what it can do as far as settings for the use of the pen if
the "regular brush" is chosen for use, it has a lot of settings there, but for no other
type of painting brush... at the same time it has little intuition towards actual painting
in that it has limited functionality in that technical genre, as a GUI. Nothing much
there emulates painting on a canvas with oil paints, and brushes.

At least, not like Project Dogwaffle or Painter. Everything needs to be like "up
front" and available.
Fred Hiltz
2006-07-04 19:28:20 UTC
AAvK wrote:
[snip]
Post by AAvK
I have downloaded PSPX demo. I think the paint engine
leaves a bit much to be desired, as it is very slow
following the pen on the tablet, and for painting in
general everything seems to be rather obscure and "behind
the scenes" of the GUI, which is far more geared towards
"fixing up photos".
I was quite impressed with what it can do as far as
settings for the use of the pen if the "regular brush" is
chosen for use, it has a lot of settings there, but for no
other type of painting brush... at the same time it has
little intuition towards actual painting in that it has
limited functionality in that technical genre, as a GUI.
Nothing much there emulates painting on a canvas with oil
paints, and brushes.
At least, not like Project Dogwaffle or Painter.
Everything needs to be like "up front" and available.
When PSP is slow following the pen, the first thing to check is the
setting of Step in the Tool Options palette. For most work, 15 to 25
is good. That puts down a brush impression every 15% to 25% of the
brush width. When the Step is 1% or 2%, PSP lags while making all
those impressions.

The second thing to check is the Brush Variances palette. Turn off
any fancy effects that you are not using. Assuming your computer is
less that four years old, the screen should track the pen without
noticeable delay, at least for brush sizes less than 150 pixels.

Check out the Art Media tools for "emulates painting on a canvas
with oil paints." It is nowhere near as nice as the dedicated
painting programs, but not bad for a general-purpose image editor.

The UI seems to bother you. Have you checked out its extensive
customizing abilities? That is one of the best things that Corel
inherited from Jasc. You can build a painter's workspace that puts
all of your favorite tools "up front" and available.
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com
t***@gmail.com
2013-09-09 18:22:37 UTC
Can anybody find me the final update to PSP9??
I have the 9.01 update, but I can't find the 9.0.1.1 or the 9.02 update anywhere.

Hopefully these updates will fix the saving error I keep getting.

Thank you,
ron2vn
2013-09-12 02:15:43 UTC
You might try Amazon.com, that's where I found PSP 9.01, full retail
version, new in box, after it went off the market.
Thank you,
Charlie+
2013-09-16 05:53:00 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Can anybody find me the final update to PSP9??
I have the 9.01 update, but I can't find the 9.0.1.1 or the 9.02 update anywhere.
Hopefully these updates will fix the saving error I keep getting.
Thank you,
Well, did you manage to obtain a clean copy? I would also like to get a
copy, just in case! There seems to be a FOSI version...
C+
m***@gmail.com
2013-10-08 18:13:14 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Hopefully these updates will fix the saving error I keep getting.
Looks like it is time to give up that crappy software and move on to professional software.

Mike
http://artistmike.com

Lolly
2006-07-04 23:08:12 UTC
I think X would be ok if the browser was on the left rather than at the
bottom.
--
Lolly Harris

Site: http://cantonchows.com
JoeB
2006-07-04 23:47:04 UTC
Post by Lolly
I think X would be ok if the browser was on the left rather than at the
bottom.
You can undock the browser just like you can undock any palette and
move it where you want (including moving it to a second monitor if
you have a dual monitor setup).

File>Preferences>General Program Preferences>Palettes, and uncheck
the palettes (including the browser) that you want to move around.
You can also make it roll up into a bar when you move your mouse
out of the browser, just like the other palettes.

Regards,

JoeB
Fred Hiltz
2006-07-04 23:48:18 UTC
Post by Lolly
I think X would be ok if the browser was on the left rather
than at the bottom.
Like all palettes, it can dock to any of the four edges of the work
area or it can float. Check File > Preferences > General Program
Preferences > Palettes to allow docking, then grab its title bar and
drag it to the left edge.

I wish all its defects were as easily remedied. The browser has been
thoroughly raked over the coals in the cnews groups.
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com
Lolly
2006-07-06 01:17:05 UTC
That still doesn't make a vertical browser like 9 had. I use FrontPage and
am used to a right hand vertical browser.
--
Lolly Harris

Site: http://cantonchows.com
Fred Hiltz
2006-07-06 01:28:47 UTC
Post by Lolly
Post by Fred Hiltz
Post by Lolly
I think X would be ok if the browser was on the left
rather than at the bottom.
Like all palettes, it can dock to any of the four edges of
the work area or it can float. Check File > Preferences >
General Program Preferences > Palettes to allow docking,
then grab its title bar and drag it to the left edge.
I wish all its defects were as easily remedied. The
browser has been thoroughly raked over the coals in the
cnews groups. --
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com
That still doesn't make a vertical browser like 9 had. I
use FrontPage and am used to a right hand vertical browser.
Correct. If you want Corel to return to the browser of PSP 9, write
them on the E-mail Corel tab at http://support.corel.com. Join the
chorus that has been urging just that since the beginning of PSP 10
beta test.
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com
Sally Beacham
2006-07-05 02:09:49 UTC
Post by Lolly
I think X would be ok if the browser was on the left rather than at the
bottom.
You might try undocking it and moving it to the left.

Or the right. Or all around the town.