PSP 9: Print Layout Feature Crashes on Close
Pete
2005-08-28 00:19:41 UTC
Subject says it all. Anyone else experienced this? Workaround?

I'd send the detailed crash report to Corel, but their email support system
doesn't allow attachments.

TIA
Fred Hiltz
2005-08-28 01:02:01 UTC
Post by Pete
Subject says it all. Anyone else experienced this? Workaround?
I'd send the detailed crash report to Corel, but their email
support system doesn't allow attachments.
Tech support will reply with an address to upload files if they know
you have them and they decide they want them. First thing, though,
is to make sure your copy of PSP is up to date.
--
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com
C-Tech volunteer
Pete
2005-08-28 02:32:03 UTC
Post by Fred Hiltz
Post by Pete
Subject says it all. Anyone else experienced this? Workaround?
I'd send the detailed crash report to Corel, but their email
support system doesn't allow attachments.
Tech support will reply with an address to upload files if they know
you have them and they decide they want them. First thing, though,
is to make sure your copy of PSP is up to date.
Thanks for the info. I'm running 9.01.1, which seems to be the latest.

I should add I didn't have this problem with PSP 7.

Running Win XP Pro SP2, 1 GB RAM, 1 GB free space on C:.

Pete
Fred Hiltz
2005-08-28 10:07:17 UTC
Post by Pete
Post by Fred Hiltz
Post by Pete
Subject says it all. Anyone else experienced this? Workaround?
I'd send the detailed crash report to Corel, but their email
support system doesn't allow attachments.
Tech support will reply with an address to upload files if they
know you have them and they decide they want them. First thing,
though, is to make sure your copy of PSP is up to date.
Thanks for the info. I'm running 9.01.1, which seems to be the
latest.
I should add I didn't have this problem with PSP 7.
Running Win XP Pro SP2, 1 GB RAM, 1 GB free space on C:.
Yes, that is the current patch level. I have not heard of anyone
else getting crashes on exit, so it's a matter of finding what's
upsetting your system. Corrupt fonts, bad plug-ins, defective
graphics card drivers, a corrupted patch download, and of course the
odd virus are all known to crash PSP 9, but not on close.

Does it happen if you start PSP and close right away, or can you
identify some activity that is necessary to make it happen? Did you
perhaps install or update any other software after installing PSP 9?

Without specific clues, the general clean-up is worth a try, and not
hard. Download ZapJasc from http://www0.jasc.com/pub/ZapJasc.exe.
Run it, identifying the version and checking all the options for a
complete removal. Then re-install and test PSP 9.00, followed by
installing and testing each patch. Tech support would probably
recommend that as a first step anyway, to put the set-up into a
known state for further debugging.
--
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com
C-Tech volunteer
Fred Hiltz
2005-08-28 10:51:01 UTC
Fred Hiltz wrote:
[snip]
Post by Fred Hiltz
Does it happen if you start PSP and close right away, or can you
identify some activity that is necessary to make it happen?
[snip]

Should have asked, "Does it happen if you start PSP, open Print
Layout, and close right away... ?"
--
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com
C-Tech volunteer
Pete
2005-08-28 15:28:10 UTC
Post by Fred Hiltz
Post by Pete
Post by Fred Hiltz
Post by Pete
Subject says it all. Anyone else experienced this? Workaround?
[...]
The crash is on closing the Print Layout window, NOT on exiting PSP. It
doesn't happen every time, so determining which steps actually cause the
crash is extremely hard to do. It happens about 30% of the time I use Print
Layout. In the most recent example, here's what I had done:

Launched PSP
Opened an image from the PSP browser
Opened Print Layout from the File menu
Scaled to fit, then adjusted size and position
Printed to the wrong printer (HP 820Cse)
Selected the right printer (Epson 1280) and adjusted driver settings
Printed the image
Adjusted size again
Printed again
Opened a second image using Open Image on Print Layout's own menu
Scaled to fit, then adjusted size and position
Removed the first image from the page, which was under the second one
Printed the 2nd image
Closed the Print Layout window with the X button
CRASH!

I haven't added any plug-ins to PSP, and there are no viruses on my system.
I don't have any similar problems with other graphics programs (CompuPic,
ACDSee, etc.). PSP 9 is actually the last software I installed.

You mention re-installing and testing "each patch". Is there more than one?
I have only installed 9.01.1 on top of the CD installation.

I'll try ZapJasc and a re-install and report back.

Thanks!

Pete
Fred Hiltz
2005-08-28 16:39:54 UTC
[snip]
Post by Pete
The crash is on closing the Print Layout window, NOT on exiting
PSP. It doesn't happen every time, so determining which steps
actually cause the crash is extremely hard to do. It happens
about 30% of the time I use Print Layout. In the most recent
[snip steps]
Post by Pete
You mention re-installing and testing "each patch". Is there more
than one? I have only installed 9.01.1 on top of the CD
installation.
<http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3%2FDownloads%2FSupportDownloads&pname=Paint+Shop+Pro+9>
lists a patch for US English PSP 9.00 to 9.01, then one from 9.01 to
9.01.1. I do not know whether the second incorporates the first, but
there is no harm in doing both in the right sequence, I am sure.

I do know that the first of those incorporates the 9.00 GDI+ fix.
--
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com
C-Tech volunteer
Larry Linson
2005-08-28 13:48:11 UTC
Post by Pete
Subject says it all. Anyone else experienced this? Workaround?
I'd send the detailed crash report to Corel, but their email support system
doesn't allow attachments.
hahahahaha.

You bought crappy software and now you want to cry about it.

hahahaha.
f***@gmail.com
2016-09-27 20:46:23 UTC
Post by Pete
Subject says it all. Anyone else experienced this? Workaround?
I'd send the detailed crash report to Corel, but their email support system
doesn't allow attachments.
TIA
In my case (win10) I had no default printer set. After fixing this, the print dialog came up again instead of psp9 crashing.