PSP 9.0 in Win 7 Pro 64 bit?
Accomac
2012-10-15 21:36:19 UTC
Hello all,

Before I make a mess and try to install it, will PSP 9 run under Win7 ?

I was thinking maybe I could use the compatibility mode to make it go.

Has anyone done it?

Thanks!
Joe Laut
2012-10-15 23:02:18 UTC
Post by Accomac
Hello all,
Before I make a mess and try to install it, will PSP 9 run under Win7 ?
I was thinking maybe I could use the compatibility mode to make it go.
Has anyone done it?
Thanks!
8.1 runs just fine. 9.0 was only a minor upgrade that I did not bother to
get. Should work just fine.
Joe Laut
PS do not bother with compatibility mode - it really sucks.
Dave Symes
2012-10-16 05:09:42 UTC
Post by Accomac
Hello all,
Before I make a mess and try to install it, will PSP 9 run under Win7 ?
I was thinking maybe I could use the compatibility mode to make it go.
Has anyone done it?
Thanks!
Dunno about 64bit Win 7, but I have PSP 9 (With updates) running under
32bit Win 7 (SP-1) without any major problems, there's a few minor things,
the only notable being, if you have multiple printers installed you can't
select a different one from within the PSP 9 print dialogue.

The work around is easy, just set the printer you want as the "Default"
from the Windows side before using PSP 9 to print.

Dave
Dave Triffid
Charlie+
2012-10-16 06:47:53 UTC
Post by Dave Symes
Dunno about 64bit Win 7, but I have PSP 9 (With updates) running under
32bit Win 7 (SP-1) without any major problems, there's a few minor things,
the only notable being, if you have multiple printers installed you can't
select a different one from within the PSP 9 print dialogue.
The work around is easy, just set the printer you want as the "Default"
from the Windows side before using PSP 9 to print.
Im still using PSP 7 - are there any really useful upgrades in PSP 9
that might be useful?
Thanks
Dave Symes
2012-10-16 18:55:13 UTC
Post by Charlie+
Post by Dave Symes
Dunno about 64bit Win 7, but I have PSP 9 (With updates) running under
32bit Win 7 (SP-1) without any major problems, there's a few minor
things, the only notable being, if you have multiple printers installed
you can't select a different one from within the PSP 9 print dialogue.
The work around is easy, just set the printer you want as the "Default"
from the Windows side before using PSP 9 to print.
Im still using PSP 7 - are there any really useful upgrades in PSP 9
that might be useful?
Thanks
'Tiz a long time ago now, and IIRC. PSP 7 was the last old version before
the major re-write for version 8.
There were very big changes made to PSP in version 8 and its updates, and
thereafter some more additions in PSP 9.

PSP 8/9 are quite different beast from the old V7 and one of the major
additions was scripting.

Sorry I can't summon a list from my memory of all the changes, but a lot
of time has passed.
Possible some Googling for comparisons between 7 and 8/9 might reveal some
lists.

For example...If you look for a PDF version of the PSP 8 manual...

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/man-migrate/MANUAL000014997.pdf

There's a section at the beginning of chapter 1 "What's new in version 8"
about 4 pages worth of changes.

Dave
Dave Triffid
Charlie+
2012-10-17 07:59:25 UTC
Post by Dave Symes
Post by Charlie+
Post by Dave Symes
[...]
Thanks for the reply Dave I have d/l pdf you cite and will take a look!!
Didnt realise there had been a major rewrite on 8, had heard that some
late versions were problem children.
C+
Dave Symes
2012-10-17 17:10:23 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
Charlie+ <***@xxx.net> wrote:
[Snippy]
Post by Charlie+
Thanks for the reply Dave I have d/l pdf you cite and will take a look!!
Didnt realise there had been a major rewrite on 8, had heard that some
late versions were problem children.
Bit of an understatement on your part... ;-)

Even though I've bought *every* Corel version of PSP up to and including
X4 (X5 is the very latest, but not going to waste any more lolly) They've
done bad things, and turned it into a clone of PS-Elements and various
other graphics apps.
And that's all aside from the introduction of numerous bugs, tools that
don't work correctly, and it's a piece of bloatware, etc, etc.

So as per usual, I'm still using PSP 9.01

Dave
Dave Triffid
Charlie+
2012-10-18 05:53:47 UTC
Post by Dave Symes
[Snippy]
Post by Charlie+
Thanks for the reply Dave I have d/l pdf you cite and will take a look!!
Didnt realise there had been a major rewrite on 8, had heard that some
late versions were problem children.
Bit of an understatement on your part... ;-)
Even though I've bought *every* Corel version of PSP up to and including
X4 (X5 is the very latest, but not going to waste any more lolly) They've
done bad things, and turned it into a clone of PS-Elements and various
other graphics apps.
And that's all aside from the introduction of numerous bugs, tools that
don't work correctly, and it's a piece of bloatware, etc, etc.
So as per usual, I'm still using PSP 9.01
Dave
So I can go to 9.1 in safety - thanks, useful info.
Im very happy with 7 but it lacks facility to alter a batch of photos
easily by multiple manipulations, ie rotate, contrast correct, hue
correct etc all in one go - a facility I would find useful
occasionally..
C+
Ascadix
2012-10-16 11:44:05 UTC
Post by Dave Symes
Post by Accomac
Hello all,
Before I make a mess and try to install it, will PSP 9 run under Win7 ?
I was thinking maybe I could use the compatibility mode to make it go.
Has anyone done it?
Thanks!
Dunno about 64bit Win 7, but I have PSP 9 (With updates) running under
32bit Win 7 (SP-1) without any major problems, there's a few minor things,
the only notable being, if you have multiple printers installed you can't
select a different one from within the PSP 9 print dialogue.
I have found an ugly workarround "for geek" some times ago:

You could use a resource editor (like "ressource hacker") to edit the
DLL that contain the "print" dialog box (for my localized PSP v8, it's
"JascCmdPrint_French.dll") and duplicate the printer selection button
out of the "control group" where it is normaly.

The firts button will always be absent, but the duplicata will be
available and functional to select another printer.

BTW: always keep a backup of the original DLL.
Post by Dave Symes
The work around is easy, just set the printer you want as the "Default"
from the Windows side before using PSP 9 to print.
Dave
Sorry for my english, i read it ... but don't write it very often.
--
@+
Ascadix
arrive.
Jude
2012-10-16 15:30:47 UTC
Post by Accomac
Hello all,
Before I make a mess and try to install it, will PSP 9 run under Win7 ?
I was thinking maybe I could use the compatibility mode to make it go.
Has anyone done it?
Thanks!
I, too, hesitated to try it, but others had reported successfully running v. 7 and 8. Since 9 is my favorite version of PSP, I had to give it a go. To my delight, PSP 9 runs very well on my Win 7 Pro 64-bit system, much better than it did on my previous XPPro.

The only limitation I've run into is that the Windows Aero theme is disabled while PSP is open, but it restores as soon as the program is closed.
joek
2012-10-16 16:24:53 UTC
So why use PSP 7, 8 or 9 if you have Photoshop CS6 - some may ask.
Those versions of PSP were the last before the program turned to ****.
Others can explain the details.

Photoshop has played games with their file formats in such a way that a
perfectly good picture in PS often turns to mud or really crummy looking
when printed - unless perhaps you have both a calibrated monitor and
printer.
I for one do not want to screw around with that since printers do not last
long enough or settings can not be reliably stored etc.

I open my PSD (the standard default file format used in PS) files with PSP
and adjust the saturation anywhere from 0 to 30. Hue or Lightness are
generally ok as is. Then I save the file as a JPG for printing or viewing
in other software. Works really well!

The PSP commands are ADJUST>>HUE & SATURATION>>HUE/SATURATION/LIGHTNESS.
Click Saturation.
A quicker way is to hold down the Shift Key and then hit H to get the same
screen. The slider(s) on this menu are 'overly sensitive' so you need to
enter numerical values to change in small enough increments. The image
takes several seconds to update - unlike PS that is instant.

F12 gets the Save AS screen.

All I need to remember about PSP.
Good luck.
h***@btinternet.com